I have ran into this issue long time ago (maybe when migrating to Revit 2012) and ever since wanted to share the solution – running Revit Addins from Network drive . We have used custom dp Stuff addins in the office since Revit 2011. The way it was initially set up is that the actual DLL files that contained the addins were placed on one of the network drives and depending on the needs of each user we would place a corresponding .addin file on user’s local C drive (equivalent of installing a plugin). This way the addins would need to be updated only in one location and everyone would have the most up-to-date version once they reboot Revit in the morning.
So, this used to work just fine until Revit 2012. When we upgraded to 2012 version Revit would not allow to run these DLL files from the network location by default. If you happen to have a similar problem the solution to that is in revit.exe.config file. You need to locate the file in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2013\Program (assuming you are using Win7).
Open the file with a text editor (it is an XML file) and find
the runtime tag, you should see something like this:
1 2 3
<runtime> <generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false"/> </runtime>
You need to add a line there that allows Revit to load from remote source:
1 2 3 4
<runtime> <loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" /> <generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false"/> </runtime>
This should do the trick.
Save the config file and restart Revit. The only thing is that you have to make sure that you have admin privileges to be able to edit this config file.
Thanks to this post of Rod Howarth